Media today has a huge influence on teenagers. The media today is powerful and omnipresent. Social media is a websites and other online means of communication that are used by large groups of people to share information and to develop social and professional contacts. But all is not bad with the media. If media is used in a right way, it can change lives for good. It has been seen that many of the teenagers spend an average of 8 hours online every day. This does not mean that they are spending time only in doing educational things such as research and learning. Plenty time is spent on social media sites like Facebook and YouTube.
This blog will highlight the positive and negative impacts of social media on teenagers.
Some of the positive impacts of social media on teenagers include:
- The media helps to develop awareness and gives teens skills to become more confident and independent about society and the world. It also helps to educate young people. Any teenager, who is not aware of anything, can be well informed through the platform of media. (Follow the link for more information) http://www.teenshield.com/blog/2016/06/28/positive-effects-of-social-media/
- Social media also inspires teenagers for instance, if a teen’s favorite celebrity’s movie is played on TV, or any video which has been uploaded on Facebook, can motivate them towards positive path.
- Social media also helps teenagers to develop reading and writing skills for example if a celebrity talks about her favorite book, the teenager might be tempted to grab a book too. If he or she is deeply inspired by the writings, they can start their own blog or websites for writing their views and giving other readers more information on a particular topic. (http://www.momjunction.com/articles/positive-and-negative-influences-of-media-on-teenagers_00107975/#gref)
However there are also some negative impacts of social media on teenagers which includes:
- Risky sexual behavior is one of the major impacts of social media on teenagers because teens are just discovering their sexuality therefore the amount of sex in media today can make a teenager confuse. This results in sex without responsibility and leads to irresponsible sexual behavior and unwanted pregnancies.
- The chance of obesity is high because most of the teenagers nowadays spend too much time in front of the TV, computer and phones. Playing outside has become a rarity. By looking at the today’s bad eating habits, obesity is a major concern.
- Cyber bullying is another growing trend among social media websites. Cyber bullyingis the use of cell phones; instant messaging, e-mail, chat rooms or social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter to harass threaten or intimidate someone. Cyber bullying can have dangerous and potentially fatal effects. It claims many victims each year. Victimization of young people online has received an increasing level of scrutiny, particularly after a series of high-profile suicides of teenagers who were reportedly bullied on various social networks.
(Follow the link for more information http://www.livescience.com/51294-cyberbullying-social-media-teen-depression.html
Here are the links of cyber bullying which highlights on the statistics of it:
- Privacy– is really important in social media but there are many teenagers who give each and every detail about themseveles on social media that it becomes easy for anyone to track a person and interfere in other peoples live. Hackers edit other people’s photos and upload on social media sites therefore; this creates a bad image of the victimized person.
Thus, it can be said that the media is just a tool and like any other tool, how you use it depends on you whether you use in a positive way or negative way. Teenagers spend too much time on social media which results negatively and often lead to social media addiction. Social media can be used as a voice of reason in society in a positive and negatively way. Parents should monitor their children on these social media sites so that they are not out of their shoes. There should be a strict law that whoever does any harassment or makes face accounts on social media, should be heavily fined or jailed so that there can be less cases of suicides.
Some of the Fiji times and Fiji Sun articles which are related to the impacts of social media on teenagers are:
More information on negative and positive Impacts of Social Media on Teenagers